Project management is one of the in-demand career options in recent years. If you are enthusiastic in project management and want to develop your career in this line, you need proper certification first. There are two certifications that you may opt for, and they are both highly reputable in this field; one is Prince2, and the other is PMP. But which certification is appropriate for you? Which one should you choose, and why? Here is a comparative analysis of the two certifications.
The Project Management Professional certification is one of the most famous certifications for project managers in the world. It is a qualification program offered by the highly regarded Project Management Institute. Project managers with PMP certification can get jobs in various industries. The course covers a wide range of topics that are essential for project managers to know. This increases your earning potential to a great extent. Your PMP certification indicates the following:
• Your efficiency in using the PMBOK guide which is like the bible for the Project Management Book of Knowledge.
• It also shows that you are knowledgeable enough about the best principles and practices of project management.
Also, known as Projects IN Controlled Environments, this certification method is primarily process-based. It offers a systematic approach on how to deliver a successful project using clear templates, steps, and processes. Since this certification focuses both on projects and processes, many students prefer Prince2 over PMP. But both are equally popular in the US and other countries. Here are a few features of this certification that you should know:
• It educates students about the general structure of the project management principles. You can implement the knowledge from this certification on any project.
• It follows a standardized approach that helps students get in-depth knowledge about project management.
• You understand the roles and responsibilities of all the team members who are a part of the project.
• It teaches you to divide the master project into small project plans, team plans, and stage plans to execute the project better and eliminate ambiguity.
The difference in eligibility criteria
Apart from the difference in approach of the certification, there is a difference in eligibility criteria also. The Prince2 certification online has no eligibility criteria if you are applying for the foundation. However, if you apply for the practitioner level, you should obtain a foundation certificate first. On the other hand, PMP has three eligibility criteria. They are:
• Experience in projects
• Minimum academic qualification of higher secondary or holding an advanced degree
• 35 contact hours training
The industry demand for these certifications depends on which country to come from. For example, Prince2 is widely recognized in the UK, Australia, and Europe while PMP certification applies to Canada, Australia, the Middle East, and the USA.
Since the countries in which these certifications are applicable are different, it is hard to specify the exact difference in the salary. But on average, a PMP certified professional can expect a salary of around $108,000 in the US. If you compare the amount to Prince2 accredited professionals in the UK, the amount varies from $85,000 to $90,000.